At Our Big Kitchen our School Programs are designed to teach students about giving from a young age, and about those less fortunate. We believe in creating these meaningful opportunities for students, in a very practical way so that they can learn and understand the importance of giving back.
No matter the age we believe it is never too young to create a spirit of giving and selflessness that empowers our youth. Programs vary depending on requirements, student’s age and, Learning outcomes. Cooking together breaks down barriers and creates enriching and fun experience for all students, as we connect over OBK’s main ingredient….Love.
OBK’S SCHOOL PROGRAMS EMPOWERS STUDENTS TO:
- Connect and interact with peers in a meaningful way
- Make a tangible difference by giving back to the community together
- Engage in a wider community and connect to growing a community.
- Learn about giving, sharing, respect, love, kindness and gratitude
- Understand others and grow compassion and kindness
- Learn new cooking skills, and have fun.
- Demonstrates your schools commitment to social responsibility in a practical way.
HOW SCHOOL PROGRAMS SUPPORT OBK:
By cooking with large numbers of volunteers, or even smaller groups we are able to make more meals and support people in need. Last year OBK made over 80 000 meals which got distributed to disadvantaged Australians. Without schools coming in and volunteering their time this amount of meals would not have been achieved.
Our belief is through giving we empower and connect people. We hope to build a larger community of givers and by more schools participating we hope to spread this giving belief.
Running a large commercial kitchen and a charity does have costs. By having these school programs it contributes to OBK’s running costs. These programs are how we hope to stay sustainable as a charity and continue to grow.
Duration: 3hrs long
The program includes:
– Arrive, snack on arrival
– Talk about OBK, Giving, the people OBK supports, and relevant stories
– Cooking a hot meal
– Making a dessert
– Participants get to sample the meals prepared
– Package meal with “school” logo
– Closing Talk and photo
Cost: $30 per student – minimum of 20 students
Optional Lunch for an extra $5 per student
*this is tax deductable as OBK is a registered charity
Dress: Please wear closed shoes, and long pants we do need to follow food safety rules.
“The experience of Our Big Kitchen, was very rewarding. I have learnt many things like how hard some people have it, and how important food is. The experience taught me how fortunate we are, and how necessary food preservation is. It was an experience that makes you incredibly thankful for what we have and proud of helping the community” – Aurelia Age 14
For more information about our programs and calendar, please contact us.